What We Collect and How We Use It
From Visitors, whether or not they are, or become, Members, we collect: Information about the technical mechanisms you used to access the Site, such as your browser and operating system type, the link that brought you to our Site, data points that help our analytics function and which tell us what brought you to a particular spot on our Site, and Your IP address, which is automatically rendered anonymous when used by our third party analytics services.
Collectively, this is “Usage Information.”
We use Usage Information to inspect, analyze, and improve our Site and ensure it functions well with the technology used by our Visitors. In addition to analytics about the demographics of our Site Visitors, we use IP Addresses for Visitors not to individually identify you, but to confirm we can deliver the Site and Services to you based on local legal rules.
Insurance Quote Shopping and Application
When you use the Site to “Shop” you may elect to supply additional information about yourself to us, including your first name, last name, and email address. In order to receive results, you will be required to provide us with additional personal information which includes, but is not limited to: your email address, zip code, marital status, employment status, risk tolerance, living situation details, family information such as number of children and general details about your current insurance coverage – we use each of these data points to return results to you that provide recommendations about how to improve your current coverage.
This is never required to visit the Site, but we do use this information to perform an analysis of your insurance needs.
Applying for Insurance
To get an insurance quote, in addition to the Checkup Information described above, you may need to supply your date of birth, gender, occupation, address, smoking status, height and weight, certain family history, certain health history, certain driving history, and your citizenship status (collectively, “Focus Information”). We use this information to calculate the price estimates for coverage and insurance company you request.
To apply for an insurance policy, you will need submit your social security number, phone number and address in addition to Focus Information (collectively, “Apply Information”).
Cookies and Web Beacons
• Verify your account and determine when you’re logged in so we can make it easier for you to access the Service and show you the appropriate experience and features;
• Show ads and to make recommendations for businesses and other organizations to people who may be interested in the products, services or causes they promote;
• Measure the performance of ad campaigns for us and for businesses that advertise with or through our Site, including through retargeting campaigns;
• Serve and measure ads across different browsers and devices used by the same person; and
• Conduct web analytics on usage of our Site and Services.
You can opt-out of certain of cookies and tracking technologies by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance Opt-out here. Note that this opt-out only applies to certain cookies and tracking technologies we use.
Web beacons (also sometimes called “clear GIFs”) are small files stored and/or served on a website on in an email which collect, track, or transmit a data point back to us or to a third party. For example, we use a web beacon to assess whether an email message has been opened.
We use web beacons to facilitate advertising and functionality on our Site, as well, including without limitation to:
• Associate our users with the reports they provide about satisfaction with our Site and Services;
• Administer and monitor email campaigns;
• Analyze the portions of our Site that are used most often by our Visitors, as well as how Visitors interact with our site;
• Perform A/B testing on our Site;
• Optimize interaction with our data stores;
• Improve the functionality and usefulness of our support and support chat functions;
• Analyze the efficacy of our own advertising campaigns;
• Customize the content displayed to your on our site;
• Organize and administer other web beacons and cookies on our site;
• Conduct web analytics on usage of our Site and Services; and
• Enable, improve, and effect targeted and re-targeted advertising for our advertising partners on both our Site and their third party sites such as Facebook.
In some cases, the above web beacons functions may be performed by custom HTML in our Site’s code.
We do not currently have the ability to recognize Do Not Track signals.
Where applicable, if you submit a credit card payment through our Services, for example to purchase insurance coverage, we will transmit your payment details, including without limitation your credit card number, to the payee through an encrypted transmission. We do not store credit card information on our own servers or associate it with your other Account Information for any purpose other than completing your purchase.
Also, where applicable, if you purchase certain insurance coverage through us, you will be required to provide bank account information to pay for and enable that coverage. That bank information is not stored internally. Rather it is entered in an encrypted insurance company (payee) application.
Other Uses of Personal Information on our Site and Services
In addition to the above, we may use your personally-identifiable information to:
• Otherwise provide, improve, maintain, or optimize the Services;
• Help underwrite and provide accurate insurance premium rate quotes;
• Provide insurers with the required information for applications;
• Provide, maintain and improve customer service;
• Develop and improve the Site and the Services;
• Respond to your inquiries;
• Communicate with you regarding the insurance products that you purchased through the Site as well as other products and services that may be of interest to you; and
• In addition, we may aggregate your Information with our other users’ Information and use that information for benchmarking and analysis purposes.
How We Share Your Information
Quote Information and Application Information with insurance carriers to obtain quotes and submit and process insurance applications.
Information we collect, generally
• With certain third party vendors that help us administer the Site and/or Services (and who has agreed to keep personal information they receive confidential and use it only or the purpose of providing their piece of our Services), including by:
• Storing and hosting our content or your data;
• Performing analytics on our Site and Services; and
• Providing operations and marketing assistance to us.
• With corporate Affiliates including any of our parent companies, subsidiaries, joint ventures, or other companies under common control with us.
• To the extent permitted by law, when required by law, in connection with a court order, or other government or law enforcement authority or regulatory agency, or whenever we believe that disclosing such information is necessary or advisable, for example, to protect the rights, property, or safety of us or others.
How We Secure Your Information
We secure information stored in our data stores using encryption at rest, and use additional encryption mechanisms to secure certain sensitive fields on our database. Our Site uses HTTPS and SSL protocols, and transmissions from the Site to our servers use TLS encryption standard or better. Vendors who receive personally-identifiable information from us are contractually obligated to impose no less than reasonable security measures on their storage infrastructure, and in any case no lesser measures than they use for their own data.
While we take commercially reasonable steps to protect your Personal Information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction, we cannot guarantee perfect security – no internet-based Service can. No security system is impenetrable. Despite our security measures, we cannot guarantee the security of our databases, nor can we guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to and from us over the Internet.
Under California Civil Code Section 1798.83, California residents who have established business relationships with us may choose to opt out of our sharing their Personal Information with third parties for direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and (1) you wish to opt out; or (2) you wish to request certain information regarding our disclosure of your Personal Information to third parties for the direct marketing purposes, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
Visitors from outside the U.S.
If you are visiting the Site or any of the Services from a location outside of the U.S., your connection will be through and to servers located in the U.S. All Personal Information you provide to us will be maintained in web servers and/or internal systems located within the U.S. By providing us with any Personal Information through the Site or any of the Services, you consent to transfer of such Personal Information to the U.S.
By default, we disable the submissions of personal information to our Site from Visitors using European Union IP Addresses, regardless of whether the user is an EU citizen or using a VPN device. If you need access to your account and are using an EU IP Address, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with (i) a description of the access and/or help you need, and (ii) an express consent to use any personal information in our possession to respond to your request.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If you are under 13, please do not give us any personal information and do not use the Site. If you have reason to believe that a child under the age of 13 has provided personal information to us, please contact us immediately, and we will delete that information from our databases.
How to Opt-Out
If you wish to opt-out of the use of your personal information by our Services, we are happy to assist you. Please email us at email@example.com and let us know what you wish to opt-out of. Please be advised that certain uses and sharing of your information may be required to continue providing certain Services to you, and that you will not be entitled to any refund if your removal of personal information will make certain prepaid Services unavailable to you.
Questions or Concerns
If you have additional questions or would like more information regarding our information collection, use of disclosure practices, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.